Captive Board Governance (8 hrs.)
5 CPE credits are available for the the successful completion of this course.
This three session elective course will examine corporate governance from the perspective of the Board of Directors. Students will be introduced to the duties, responsibilities and rights of a corporate director, board structure, operations and committees. During the course they will gain an understanding of the role of an independent board member, board oversight activities, duties under the federal securities law and liabilities and indemnification.
Using a series of board operation case studies involving real life situations participants will engage with their peers and instructors to determine the board best practices. Students will also gain an understanding of onshore and offshore best practices in corporate governance relating to captives and RRGs. Further items covered in this course include,
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002
- NAIC Structure and Operation
- NAIC Annual Financial Reporting Model Regulation
- NAIC Corporate Governance Working Group
- NAIC RRG Corporate Governance Working Group
- Revised Model Audit Rules
- Auditor Independence Qualifications
- Corporate Governance Board Audit Committee
- Corporate Governance Conduct of Insurer (MAR)
- Corporate Governance Notification of Adverse Financial Condition
- Annual Report of Internal; Controls
- Solvency 2 Increased Corporate Governance for Insurers
- Board of Directors Duties and Roles in Off Shore Captives – Cayman and Bermuda Focus
Next Course begins October 2013
Instructor: John O'Brien and Wendy Fisher
In addition to self-paced reading and assignment work, students will be required to attend three webconference sessions and complete two weeks of follow up assignments.
Registration Deadline: Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Webconference one, Monday, October 21st, from 2:30 - 3:45 p.m. EDT
Webconference two, Monday, October 28th, from 2:30 - 3:45 p.m. EDT
Webconference three, Monday, November 4th, from 2:30 - 3:45 p.m. EDT
Office Hour, Monday, November 11th, from 2:30 - 3:45 p.m. EDT
For further details please contact at ICCIE at 802-651-9050.
To see when this course will be taught again go to the course schedule page